Coronavirus Related Change in Operations

Effective 03-19-2020 access to the Umatilla County Records/G.I.S. office in Pendleton will be by appointment only and for an appointment period not to exceed 15 minutes, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. through 4:30 p.m. Satellite offices in Hermiston & Milton-Freewater are closed. Call 541-278-6236 to set up an appointment.

Recording customers are encouraged to submit documents for recording either through e-recording via Simplifile, Corporation Service Company, Indecomm Global Services, or Electronic Recording Partners Network or via U.S. Mail.

Marriage Licensing Applicants should pre-apply online at the County’s website and submit I.D. & payment via email or mail. Staff will then mail out a license packet with instructions.

Passport Applicants must bring completed application with supporting documents and payment. No more than two applicants per 15-minute period.

Access to the Record Research Room is closed for the time being. Copy requests can be fulfilled online as time allows via email utilizing debit/credit card payments or by check through U.S. Mail.

Please refer to the County’s website for further information on services and updates to this policy.

Thank you for your patience.

Records Index is now online

Search Now

The Functions of County Records

The Office of County Records, (formerly the County Clerk’s Office) records all documents that effect the conveyance, encumbrance, or division of Real Property, including but not limited to: Affidavits, Agreements, Death Certificates, Deeds, Deeds of Trust (Mortgages), Easements, Foreclosures, Judgments, Land Sale Contracts, Leases, Liens, Partition Plats, Subdivision (Town) Plats and variations of said documents (amendments, assignments, modifications, releases, re-plats & satisfactions).

Other recorded and filed documents include: Military Discharges, Mining Records, Oaths of Office, Powers of Attorney, and Taxing District Budgets.

County Records also: issues & records Marriage Licenses; registers Domestic Partnerships; processes Passport Applications, offers Notary Public Services, assists the Board of Property Tax Appeals and maintains and indexes the County Commissioners’ Journal - a monthly record of the Orders, Ordinances, Public Works Permits, Contracts, Agreements, and other business Proceedings of the County’s Executive Branch. The Records Office also provides order forms and contact information for obtaining copies of Birth Certificates and other Vital Records not recorded at the county level, but on file with the State of Oregon: or (971) 673-1190. Limited contact information is available for other states as well.

For Divorce, Probate & Criminal Records please contact the Umatilla County Circuit Court at 541-278-0341.


  • Give legal advice
  • Supply blank forms/documents
  • Tell you what type of form/document to record
  • Help you fill out forms/documents
  • If you need help, we recommend that you contact an attorney or title company for assistance.